Thursday, July 28, 2005

All the schadenfreude, none of the annoying singing.

That's what I've been telling people about So You Think You Can Dance, the surprisingly entertaining show that does for dancing what American Idol did for horrible vocal pop.* They take breakdancers and try to coreograph them. They tell effeminate male ballet dancers they aren't masculine enough. They fail to tell the fat chick en pointe that she looks like a hippo, though they do cringe a lot. Anyway, it's very funny, and I actually like watching people dance.

So I've been suckered into yet another shitty summer reality show. So what. It's not like I'll put off any social engagements to watch it.

"Social engagements." Hah!

Pretty much all I've done this week is go to work and actually spend most of the time working. I did see Once Upon a Time in the West, thanks to the Editor, who thought it a horrible oversight that I'd never seen it when I listed The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in my top 10 movies I liked a lot that I've seen more than once. He was right; it's a much bigger, richer, fulfilling movie, and once I see it a second time, I can switch it out on the list.

I am looking for weekend plans. Hello, weekend plans, where are you? I may do something with my coworker friend, like visit hilly San Francisco or some happy trees in the Santa Cruz area, but otherwise, I've been on the lookout for plans that have yet to materialize. I browsed Pollstar and some ticket sites and Metroactive for things of interest and nothing really caught my eye. Apparently there's some grand prix racing thing in downtown San Jose that's causing lots of streets to be closed and half my office is excited to go down and check it out; needless to say, I'm less interested.

Anyway, the thing is, I have to get out of the house for most of the weekend or my boyfriend will start to hate me. And I will start to hate myself (OH, TOO LATE). Unless I'm on the rag, in which case, I will be sitting in my swelteringly hot room in a fetal position, waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in.

I really want/need to see a show in the near-to-immediate future. I don't know what. Aja can't come in August for Dinosaur Jr and I don't know that I'd go alone; Kevin and I are going to Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright in about a month, but that's not the kind of show where you rock out and get sweaty as fuck and are all like YEAH, though it should be enjoyable.

Besides, rocking out is good exercise, isn't it?

*Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever been, a regular viewer or fan of American Idol.

No comments: