Sunday, June 01, 2008

Cable TV: A Pro-Con List.

Pros:
  • What else am I supposed to do all day? (This is only a little tongue-in-cheek.)
  • Inane lady-programming like TLC and HGTV.
  • Incredibly stupid crap on VH1 (and if you assumed this will appear again on the Con list, you are right).
  • Project Runway, Top Chef, and (okay, this is sad) Shear Genius.
  • Gilmore Girls reruns.
  • Free stuff On Demand!
  • Battlestar Galactica.
  • My god, how could I forget Comedy Central? The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are obvious, but there's other good stuff.
  • The Soup.
  • Mythbusters.
  • Having cable eliminates the need for a DTV converter box next year.


Cons:
  • I am already mooching housing. Mooching cable is extra bad.
  • I might be more productive and/or read a damn book if I didn't have cable.
  • Cable TV allows/encourages me to watch soul-sucking and brain-rotting tripe. Like VH1.
  • The myriad legal alternatives to getting the content I actually want: Netflix, YouTube, various networks' free Flash video pages, friends' houses.
  • Stupid ABC Family doesn't have stupid season 7 of Gilmore Girls, but they do have that heinous Christian power ballads commercial on every goddamn day. Those songs get stuck in my head. That's that power of Satan coming through.
  • I seldom use the On Demand feature.
  • Comedy Central has crap I don't want to watch on about 75% of the time.
  • Once I get a job (probably one with a lengthy commute), I will have less time for stupid TV.
  • Kevin can stop bitching about the volume or making fun of me for whatever dumb thing I'm watching. TV on DVD is somehow more respectable, and with subtitles, I can maintain better volume levels.
  • Paying Comcast is just lame.

No comments: