Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Hello.

This isn't much of an entry. I just figured the two lines of text below hardly counted as enough content to leave sitting on the front page between now and whenever I make the time to write another proper entry.

It's just another day. I had calzone for dinner with Chris. The Calzone King on 53rd and Roosevelt. I got the Sicilian--spinach and sliced egg--and a glass of iced tea. Yum.

We're still looking for houses. I've called some places, much to my amazement because I am seriously phone-phobic, but the bastards are having a hard time getting back to me. I will have to try again tomorrow. One called me today while I was in class, didn't leave a message, and wasn't around an hour and a half later when I tried to call back. Argh! Another place Chris called claims to be in Fremont, but defines Fremont as the other side of the bridge, i.e., Queen Anne a mile east of Seattle Pacific University. Bzzzz, wrong answer! So anyway, this week is officially dedicated to getting in touch with rental people and checking places out.

I have been watching the last hour or so of Manor House the past two days on PBS. That show is super cool for being reality TV, which I hate on principle and experience. Well, technically, I imagine there are exceptions to that rule--if you count trashy dating shows like Blind Date, which is pure quality, ruthlessly mocking Star Search, or shows like Trading Spaces, which I have enjoyed in the past, as reality TV. I never got into the Road Rules/Real World shit on MTV and I don't think anything on now is tolerable, either.

Anyway, the cool thing about Manor House, I think, is that it's not based on a presumption of equality like other shows. It's based on a society that was basically UNequal, so the show features people dealing with this sudden sense of inequality when they've been raised in a culture that purports to view all persons as equal, no matter how untrue that is in practice. This is formalized inequality, and it's maddening to many of the participants. That, and while I understand there is somehow a "winner" or set of winners at the end of the miniseries, it's not an outright competition. Except maybe in the sense that they will nitpick each others' lack or praise the exhibition of "Edwardian" behavior.

It's making me want to re-read Pride and Prejudice or see Gosford Park again.

The weather these past few days has been fantastic. The breeze has been a bit heavy, but it's otherwise warm and sunny and lovely spring weather. I've been wearing my sandals, which has resulted in a small sore on a middle toe where the straps rub against the joint when I walk. This will eventually go away as my feet become accustomed to the footwear.

I filled out the form for a Newslab addcode for summer and have figured out my plan of attack for fall. I *think* I should have graduating senior priority registration for fall, but that means I have to go talk to an advisor in one of my departments. It seems almost presumptuous to think I could be finishing college, even if it's later than I'd planned. I have 25 credits to spread out over three quarters. I need to take at least 12 credits or they'll push my status from full-time to part-time student. Then they'll give me a swirlie, 'cause that's what happens. It's the swirlie of college screwing you over. At least I am lucky enough to have parents who could pay for the whole mess so I'm not stuck with the loans.

Anyway. Blah, blah blah blah, blah! Blah? You don't say!

I'm fucking tired. Goodnight.

No comments: