Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Movies

There have been many movies this week. Not as many as some weeks, but a considerable jump in movie viewing from recent weeks. I can't complain.

Thursday, Chris and I, both grumpy, decided to cheer ourselves up with the 7:15 showing of A Mighty Wind, the new Christopher Guest ensemble. It reminded me of my dad; I wished he were around to see it. It was funny, too, as usual for these flicks.

Friday night Kevin and I went to Scarecrow and rented a handful of movies: The Producers, Moonlight Mile, and Wings of Desire. We bought some junk food from Safeway. I ended up feeling none too well at the evening's end after countless Red Vines, tortilla chips and salsa, and melted chocolate chips for dipping apple slices. Kevin discovered that tortilla chips dipped in melted chocolate are also good. I agree, but I had to draw the line at chocolate AND salsa.

We watched The Producers that night and were entertained. I mean, how can you go wrong? "Springtime for Hitler," etc. Fuh-neeee. I can't believe neither my mom or my brother have seen this already.

Kevin stayed the night, which is a rare treat. Usually he waits until I fall asleep and then leaves. It makes sense, usually, because he has some reason to be home, but it's nice to have him there.

I was productive Saturday. I made notes for Developmental Psych and eventually went grocery shopping. I watched Moonlight Mile and cried a little. The movie wasn't perfect, but it definitely had its strong points, like a fair portrayal of grief, not to mention Jake Gyllenhaal being pretty.

Sunday continued with productivity. I woke up and did laundry, then ventured out to return Moonlight Mile since it was a two-day rental. I met up with Chris, who gave me a CPU fan that is much quieter than the broken one in my box and accompanied me to Bartell's to buy a tiny amount of cheap Easter candy (small carton of Whoppers eggs) and trash bags.

Kevin came over for dinner and a movie. I cooked some artichokes and put on Wings of Desire, which was beautiful and long. I shall have to see it again sometime. If I'd written this closer to the viewing, I might have something more cogent to say about it, but as of now, I don't. Alas. Artichokes are a great vegetarian Easter supper, because you eat them with the gusto of tearing through the flesh of some large roasted bird. Sure, ham is the traditional Easter meal, but I'm about as secular as they come. So sue me.

Monday night felt like The Big Lebowski again, but I didn't watch it closely. Instead, I attempted to make toffee with margarine and brown sugar, which I'm sure is oh-so-wrong, and it turned out all granulated and over-sweet. This is probably why I haven't eaten it all already. I have decided that the next time I watch Lebowski, I will be making notes--about what's repeated, themes, overtones, etc. I've always meant to.

Last night I went to Kevin's and we made some chickpea curry and served it over potatoes after I inflicted Gilmore Girls on him. After that, he officially declared his distaste for the show. Chickpea curry is good, though.

Tonight at the Harem, since we had not anticipated the usual gathering because Jana was planning to go to movies at the HUB, only a few of us gathered (Chris, Graylan, Jana, Shane) and watched two episodes of 24, which I'd never seen before. I can't say I would again, either, but I can see how they're into it. Anna was home, cooking dinner for her boyfriend, so I finally got to meet him. He seems very cool, and Anna is so cute. After eating pasta and ice cream, we watched Murder by Numbers, a Sandra Bullock movie Jana and Shane rented. It was terrible. Chris and I were especially brutal in our mocking, which I think annoyed Jana. Even Shane said it was terrible, though.

I keep meaning to write more in here. I start little pieces in my notebook while I'm on campus, but then I get home or to work and am not quite in the mental space to flesh them out. I need to get on track with that. I'm reading On Writing Well in my free time (which I have a decent amount of, yippy!) and it's inspiring. It's like my now-retired beginning reporting prof in book form. The funny thing about that is my media law class right now uses a book he wrote as the text, but that doesn't come across to me as *him* as much.

Listening: Wilco - Radio Cure

No comments: