Sunday, April 11, 2004

Hacking It Up Oldschool

I confess: I am nothing but a geek hanger-on. I run Linux only because I think Microsoft is despicable and can't afford a yummy Mac; when it comes to making almost anything work in my system, I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing. I try. I try, then fail, then whine at my boyfriend to make it work, because he is Linux-proficient.

However, even he can't get Java to work. Which is so frustrating because my crossword addiction has been forcibly cut off. I don't know what to do with my hands anymore.

I guess I'll just have to take up smoking or knitting or something.

Anyway, my current debacle involves getting something to stream RealAudio so I can listen to Air America Radio like a good pinko, as well as This American Life archives. Google and its results are being uncooperative and unhelpful.

"Download this thing!" Bash can't execute this file. "Register here and then download this other thing!" I have no idea what I'm looking at. But I am determined that I will figure it out before Kevin wakes up, by gumb, because I must figure something out for myself on this wretched machine.

However, Kevin did get that $40 CyberHome player that can be s3kr3tly turned into a region-free player and it worked, which is so rad. We rented the R2 PAL second season of The Office and it played. VCDs are also working. We have yet to test mpg on CD that it supposedly also plays, but those two alone make it more than worth the $40. ***AWESOME***

No comments: