Saturday, September 27, 2003

Memo to the Weather: It's Autumn Now

What the fuck is this shit? It's been hot all day. It's returned to being truly unpleasant in my room. I don't approve. I don't even know what temperature it is, but it's unacceptably high, whatever it is. Anyway, it needs to cool the fuck down, pronto. I don't want this shit anymore. Fuck the heat. If I wanted heat, I'd move to Arizona.

Working closing this last week finally got to me. I wanted to murder everyone being a pain in the ass at closing, which was more than usual. First, one lady was convinced that a certain computer and its floppy drive were broken because Word informed her that her disk was too full to save the changes to her document there, despite my showing her how the disk was, in fact, full. She was freaking out and was pacified quickly enough when she moved to another computer with the same results and I showed her how to email the document to someone, which she wanted to do anyway. That was at 15 minutes before closing. Ten minutes later, she got her floppy disk stuck in the drive on an e-mail terminal. Sheesh.

Worse, however, was the guy who, despite my repeated calls that closing would come soon, the computers would be shutting down and people ought to print and/or save their work, hadn't finished saving his shit appropriately when the computers did shut down, and, at 6:55 (when the librarians downstairs get really cranky about kicking people out), turned the computer he was using back on (after I told him he couldn't) to see if his file there, which it wasn't because the new shutdown procedure cleans off the desktop. Which I told him. And then he said that this wasn't how the other libraries were (um, too bad; and would you mind paying attention to the numerous signs and vocalized warnings next time?) and that it was a very important document he'd been working on all day. The girl with him pleaded with me that it was his first time here and maybe he was too absorbed in his work to listen. I just looked (and was) pissed and they finally scurried out.

I'm glad my new schedule doesn't have me closing at all (although opening two weekdays kind of sucks; that's damn early).

Today has been inexplicably exhausting for a full day of leisure. Seven Haremites met for brunch at Paul's Place, the restaurant conveniently located across the street from me. It was quite tasty, especially the triple berry coffee cake. Ohhh, yeah. That was the shit. (Note to mom: you would dig the place. They have non-breakfasts, too, of course, but the coffee cake was excellent.)

Then people kind of dispersed, slowly--Lindsay had a train to catch, then Christine went for a run, Graylan and Chris went to Hardwick's, and eventually Jana and Shane went back to Shane's to nap or whatever. Then Christine came back from running and Stephanie finally arrived with her dad, two hired mover boys, and a truck full of boxes.

Christine and I decided then would be a good time to duck out and grab a quick lunch. We initially wanted salad rolls/fresh spring rolls at a Thai place, but the nearby restaurants weren't serving them, so we ended up at Pagliacci's. Christine ordered a small pesto salad for us to share, but then I saw the Eggplant Primo slices and had to have one. All in all, an excellent (and relatively cheap) light lunch.

For a brief while after Josie returned from lunch with her aunt, just us housemates were around. So we did what housemates are wont to do: we bitched about politics. Stephanie mentioned her pleasure at living with lefties. Hee.

Several hours later, people came back to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes Christine had taped and get S.U.B.S. takeout, which is always delicious. I got the tuna salad on wheat. Nummy. We watched about four episodes, including the one where Picard, Guinan, Ensign Ro, and Keiko get turned into children and defeat the renegade Ferengis and the one where Worf, Alexander and Troi get stuck in an old west holodeck program where all the bad guys turn into Data, so there was some good stuff there. But I was exceedingly sleepy by 9 p.m. Chris suggested it was communicable jet lag.

All right. It's almost cool enough to sleep now, so that may be where I'm headed.

No comments: