Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Target Has Nothing

I went to Target yesterday with Jen and we spent no money. I had every intention of buying a sweater, or maybe slippers, and I found nothing that would satisfy me. There were a lot of ugly clothes and a lot of overpriced clothes and a lot of slippers that were fuzzy on the outside and not on the inside, which seems to defeat the purpose. (The ones I did like were only in baby blue. Not that I dislike the color, but it's just not, y'know... me.)

But damn, did they have a lot of ugly clothes. Especially the abundance of badly-colored sweaters with badly-matching blouse pieces sewn into them where a blouse would appear if you wore a blouse under such a sweater. Just... bad.

I do want to update my wardrobe (*snicker*), but I am so cheap and so picky. It's a bad combination. It's why I have been unsuccessful for, seriously, about four years now in finding a new winter coat and/or all-purpose jacket. It's why I'm still wearing my sweatshirt everywhere to serve that purpose. And it doesn't even serve it well.

I can't even imagine what I want, though. I just figure I'll know it when I see it, and I never see it.

Skirts are pretty. I'd wear more skirts if I didn't hate wearing skirts. And shaving my legs. It all makes me feel so self-conscious and girly. Not good for everyday use, especially in rainy Seattle. I wish the skirts-with-pants look wasn't frowned upon, because I actually like it. It makes sense to me.

I have a problem with a lot of shirts, too, because I love button-down shirts, but my bust prevents me from wearing ones that should be form-fitting and instead forces me into shirts that are too baggy about the torso. I tend to wear a lot of t-shirts with an overshirt, which isn't too bad and allows me to wear damn near any ill-fitting thrift store find with a pattern I like, but it would be nice to be able to button them up without fearing for the life of my chest-area buttons.

I could use more pants, I guess. I just hate capris, cargos, low-rise, tapered legs and pleats. Basically, I've been wearing my one decent pair of jeans (Bass outlet size 14) exclusively but for the few times I've trotted out my super-comfy perfect brown corduroys from Lane Bryant. (They do not make them anymore. I've looked. They are so three years ago. Now the cords have to be low-rise with pre-frayed edges. Why. Why!) So I guess I could use a few more pairs of jeans and some cords of a different shade.

Also, shopping for underwear is the worst ever.

The only thing in my wardrobe I'm happy with are my shoes. My Docs are all perfectly comfy and wonderful and I have no need of anything else. Even though I do have other shoes, I rarely wear them. Well, my monkey slippers are falling apart, thus the need for new ones, but other than that... I am not a shoe-whore.

I'd just so much rather spend money on music and movies than stupid, boring, time-consuming clothes.

No comments: