Thursday, July 17, 2003

Wonderful Aloe

As per Christine's request, there will be no more garish pictures of my sun-induced pain. But I will update you on my condition.

The swelling is way down. In fact, it may be gone. It's hard to tell--my feet aren't all that attractive to begin with. I can see and feel the bone again, however, so it must be happier.

It still hurts to stand still if I've been walking for awhile (i.e., from home to work), but I was able to stand still at home before leaving to bathe and do the dishes. Yeah.

This lady I was helping saw my burns and gasped. "Honey, those are, like, third-degree burns!" I tried to brush it off. I don't know if she is a med student or what, and I didn't want to ask. I just told her they were getting better.

I am able to apply aloe without it stinging. It actually feels good, too.

In other news, there were apparently five story requests sent to newslab this morning, so I'll have to stop by after work and see if any are still there. I couldn't go before work, so I hope I'm not screwed. I could really use some story assignments.

If my legs don't hurt too much, I will probably try to go shopping tomorrowish. I've worn my plaid skirt three days now, so I can probably only squeeze one more wearing out of it and another one or two out of the dress. I tried to wear a longer skirt this morning, which was only mildly uncomfortable until I applied aloe and it got all over the skirt. Could not abide.

I really have nothing else to talk about. My life has been dealing with the pain lately, or receiving sympathy for it, etc. The only other things I've been doing besides class and work have been reading. I finished both Pamela Ribon's Why Girls Are Weird and Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor yesterday and really enjoyed both. Hell, I really enjoy reading regularly again, period. It's been awhile. I'd like to crack back into some of the Salman Rushdie that's piled up on my shelf, unread since I read the first few chapters of The Wind Beneath Her Feet. Midnight's Children was probably one of the best novels I've ever read and I have two other books by him, so I really should read them. But for now, I've put Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War in my bag to read, since it was assigned when I took a 100-level U.S. History class two years ago and never actually read.

So... I think my weekend plans include recovery, and possibly a movie or two.

No comments: