Thursday, May 22, 2003

I Do the Best Imitation of Myself

Yeah, so the title is fuckin' song lyrics. I like having a title in this layout, and I had nothing else to say, title-wise.

Housecleaning has officially begun. Last night, after Gilmore Girls and quesadillas with only half our usual group, Chris and I went to the house with buckets of random cleaning supplies. I washed the floor of my room and the banister upstairs with Murphy's wood soap, the windows and some walls with 409 and a piece of old t-shirt, and parts of the bathroom with Soft Scrub. There is still much to do.

We enlisted Kevin to drive us to Fred Meyer--after learning around 9:30 that all the hardware stores in town (two Home Depots and a Lowe's) close at 10. We picked up some tools, things like vinegar and turpentine, and lightbulbs. I decided the kind tapered to look like candle flames would be nice in the mini-chandelier in the dining room, and they do, if a bit bright due to no diffusing bulb cover on the fixture.

Oh, and we discovered that several of the outlets in the kitchen aren't working. Yeah, so, gotta fix that shit. Or Chris will try, and if he fails, we will have to get on the landlord's ass, cos having working outlets in the kitchen is important.

Many things remain on the to-buy list. We'll need a router so our network is tolerable (I guess so it doesn't have to go through my debian box or Chris's sucky xp box). We need to call some classified ads selling washer/dryer sets for under $200 who will also deliver. I've emailed someone selling a kitchen island "thingy" for $50 on craigslist, and am also interested in the rocking chair they're selling. We also need rugs--the hardwood floors are in terrible state; it'd be easier to cover parts of them up than to try to make them really nice--and window coverings. There are probably a lot of other things I'm forgetting, but I think those are the major purchases in our future.

My mom and sister are coming up Saturday morning to help, and my sister will stay on until I take her to the airport Tuesday morning. And the farmer's market is opening!

Monday is Jana's birthday party. It will be at Lindsay's house, and she requested that we bring food because she thinks Jana is trying to buy everything, and that sucks. I offered to get veggie burgers and multigrain buns, maybe some pineapple. She instructed Chris to bring soda and/or chips, or something. I don't know how Jana plans to buy food for everyone she hopes to come, so I hope everyone is helpful.

Speaking of buying food, Lindsay and Jesse brought tortillas and cheese last night and left me all the extra! That's like a dozen tortillas and two half blocks of Tillamook cheese, one pepper jack and one sharp cheddar! Hot damn.

...I'll have to share, of course.

But now, it's MY lunchtime. Then more class, then preparing materials for the group project, then meeting with the group to assemble our presentation materials. Tomorrow I need to get about half of my paper done so I can finish it for sure on Monday, although that will be hard because the coworker who is entertainingly chatty is there for most of the time I am on Fridays.

I probably have more to talk about, but it's not pressing.

listening: built to spill - happiness

No comments: