Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Minor Frustrations

I've only been at work 20 minutes now and the coffee hasn't cooled enough to drink rapidly, so I'm still a bit hazy.

Little things lately have bugged. Little things always bug, of course, but there has been a rash of bugs lately. So here is a small list of collected petty bitches from the last few days:

-I can't use IRC right now. I don't know how to get through work without IRC unless there is a talkative person present, which doesn't seem to be the case right now, or I have, you know, work to do. Since I turned in the paper that tried to eat me (see next petty bitch) yesterday, I have a slight reprieve from work. So I'm bored.

-I was writing the paper that tried to eat me on Monday at work. I had five hours to compile six pages of APA-like analysis on five articles that used video games and measured kids' heart rates. I started at noon and wrote straight through to the results section, saving to the hard drive. Save, save, save. Then, the computer decided it was suddenly incapable of saving. It was having memory issues. I tried to pacify it by offering to close every other program running and deleting files (even though the hard drive was not actually full), but it was no use. Word had made its decision. Wisely, I chose to print the last page, which contained a table of averages and a chart compiled with them. Unwisely, I figured most, if not all, of the rest of the document would have been saved somewhere already, and closed the program and rebooted. Guess what? Paper alllll gone! At 3 p.m.!

-This prevented me from getting to Jana's birthday party until almost 8 p.m. My sister had gotten a ride with Chris and Margaret so she was all alone with people she doesn't know until then, which I think is okay with her. More or less. I brought veggie burgers, which would've been a nice addition to the feast...at 5 p.m. On the upside, I got to see friends, and my sister made friends with Margaret, much to my amusement and horror.

-Back to the IRC thing, my computer doesn't seem to like being connected to the internet anymore. I don't know why. I had to reboot it this morning when I discovered my connection died last night, even though the cable wasn't down and the cat5 wasn't out of place or anything. It worked fine on reboot, but now I can't ssh to it. What...the fuck. Maybe I need a new nic.

-When I took my sister to the airport, I had no problems until I got back to the U District to park. I have a parking spot. It's behind my house. It is always there for me. Except when city utility workers are doing some kind of work in the alley, effectively preventing me from reaching my parking spot. So I drove down to and around my apartment building, hoping a spot would open up so I could park for the duration of class and move it on my break. 15 minutes of frantic circling, and nothing. I went back to the house, and there it was: I could get to my spot. So, crisis averted, but it was still another stress level increase that I really did not need.

-Stupid things keep happening with the house, like the upstairs bathroom door falling off. Perhaps the most important door in the house, and it's all fucked up. Unless Chris can fix it, because he's a super fixer-upper man. And Qwest totally fucking up his phone number shit so besides that being stupid, DSL isn't working yet, either.

Hey, on the happy side of things, the most recent issue of While You Were Sleeping is awesome.

No comments: