Thursday, August 21, 2003

Everything You've Done Wrong

I posted our room-for-rent with the SHA, by the way. And turned in 7 of 9 stories, but it's looking pretty unlikely I'll eke out another one or two by tomorrow. Hello, failure.

I did have fun writing one story for the North Seattle Herald-Outlook about educational games and such. I got to visit some local toy stores and get them to show me games they thought were cool. Now I know where to shop for things like my brother's birthday present, hee. Since the Lewis Black tickets won't work. Stupid symphony concert.

Tomorrow Bush is going to be in Washington, doing various things to get money for his re-election campaign (because, you know, having raised a record high amount already isn't nearly enough) and make the good people of Washington state aware of all the things he's done to help the environment (like drilling for oil in ANWR and making clearcutting the answer to forest fires).

I'm going to Bellevue in the morning to protest. I'll be making a sign, I think, that simply says: "I Am Angry." Maybe I'll put a list of just a few environmental transgressions on the other side. It's not much of a catchy slogan, but it's from the heart. Straight from my dark, bitter heart.

My sister will be coming to Seattle next week for Bumbershoot. We are pretty excited. Kevin and I got passes for all three of us the other day at Starbucks, since that is where you go for service charge-free passes. I haven't mapped everything out yet, but I have a few ideas about what I'll be seeing. Aside from R.E.M. and Wilco, of course.

I talked to my old friend Rachel this afternoon for the first time in several months. She's the only person I still actually talk to from back in the day, from Oregon, who's not just a family friend. It's great because we are still friends and can still carry on a decent conversation after all these years and even after not seeing much of each other since we were 14. Last year she stayed at my apartment for part of Bumbershoot, but with a couple friends I didn't know. We didn't get to talk much.

This morning, she went in to have an MRI. They're checking for the tell-tale lesions that signal MS. Her grandmother died of MS and her mom is freaking out. Terrifying.

We're hoping to spend a weekend at the beach house in September. It's not too far for her to drive and a good excuse for me to go down.

Then I started reading an article in this week's Stranger about mad cow disease and talking to Becky, who already knew about it from videos in class. It was so sickening that I can't eat my dinner now. It has cow milk cheese on it.

Let's see, what else.

I've spent a lot of time with movies this week. Kevin and I rented A Fish Called Wanda and UHF at his behest--I hadn't seen them and he thought I should--and Comedian, which was great. I also picked up a used DVD of Scratch, which is slightly less cool on a 13" TV screen than it was in the theater, but exciting nonetheless. I have yet to peruse all the bonus materials on the second disc.

I also mistakenly bought a used copy of Apocalypse Now Redux on PAL R2 DVD because I am apparently illiterate. So...that needs to go back to Scarecrow for store credit. I'd spend the $13 there anyway. That's like four or five rentals with some coupons.

Josie is moving in this weekend. She needs to paint the ceiling in her room because it's especially crappy looking. Her old house is having a moving-out party tomorrow night, so I should stop by and say hello at some point. Saturday we need to go to Home Depot (for paint) and Costco (because...I have a membership and need my picture taken for the card, and who doesn't love a gratuitous trip to Costco?). I think some other stuff is happening, but I forget what now. I am reading the Stranger for potential plans. Oh, and a bunch of movies I want to see are coming out, but as they are all first weeks at Landmarks, I'll just wait until a weeknight when Josie can get me in for free. She probably wants to see half of them, anyway.

Oh, freaky thing: Kevin caught this spider in my kitchen the other night. I caught its friend earlier, which wasn't quite as huge. That's a good two inches of spidery freakishness in that glass, though. In my house. Now outside. Ew, ew ew ew.

No comments: