Monday, August 04, 2003

Story Ideas

I'm jittery and nervous, but I can't tell if it's the coffee and lack of food or buzzing from story ideas and the need for speed.

There are three weeks left of school. I have to get in as many stories as possible by 10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 22. Right now I've turned in two and have a story about Christine's experience as an American woman in Russia to show him today. I'm thinking about submitting it to Nervy Girl. (I wasn't terribly impressed with the 'zine when I bought it before, but somehow I doubt this story would fit in an issue of Bust or Bitch.)

I have two press releases--one about public art and another about the public libraries--that I plan to whip into little news pieces. I am going to try to get in touch with an "expert" on sunburn and write a piece on severe sunburn (using my experience as a base, of course). And, thanks to the top story on Indymedia, I've come up with my seventh story.

Seattle Public Schools recently renewed a contract with Coca-Cola to place vending machines in middle and high schools. The contract, while it gave the district a buttload of much-needed money, was strenuously protested by the community. But my story's not about that. It's about corporate placement in grocery stores.

Coca-Cola owns Odwalla. In my local Safeway, Odwalla drinks have front-of-the-store placement. Their biggest competitor (that I know of), Naked, is relegated to the back of the produce section, by the tofu. At Ballard Market, part of an independent chain, they recently remodeled the store and both drinks--as well as Happy Organics--are located in the same part of the store. I am hoping to talk to some store employees about product placement in stores and get some information about the differences between Odwalla and Naked, Safeway and Town and Country Markets. Should be at least a little interesting if people will talk. Which is a big if.

Story eight can be a review of something, anything. My one opinion piece. Easy enough.

And eight out of nine ain't bad, but I'll do my damndest to get more.

Well, time to go to class.

No comments: