Saturday, August 02, 2003

Fried Zucchini

Oh my GOD. I just made an awesome sandwich discovery.

I have been feeling a tad outside the cooking sphere lately, but a little pan-fried zucchini may have punched me out of it. We'll see. I have yet to decide if Christine and I are eating Indian out or cooking in tonight. I just got a bunch of delectable veggies (and a cucumber. I hate cucumber but Kevin likes it, so I thought he might have a use for it) at the farmers' market, along with a half pint of blackberries with which to make... ooohhh... I think I'll have to bake up some no-pudge brownies and make us some kickass fat-free shakes with frozen yogurt, blackberries, and brownies. Oh fuck yes.

So yeah, the sandwich. It was mighty tasty.

It consisted of: crusty sliced sourdough boule, lightly toasted; thinly-sliced beefsteak tomatoes (the gorgeous ones at the FM); tzatziki from Trader Joe's; and pan-fried strips of zucchini, cooked in about a tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and about 1/4 tsp. of finely ground black pepper.

It is, of course, important to note that it would be difficult to go awry with this sandwich. Just that it never occurred to me before. I love and adore every food item involved. I was humming gleefully and shaking my leg with satisfaction as I ate. Mmmm.

My own tomatoes are actually growing. There are three tiny green fruits and another dozen or so flowers on the bush. My jalapeno plant fills me with joy due to its three bright red little fruits and three larger green fruits. The serrano is making progress, as is the sweet pepper. The spinach has all died, sadly, but everything else is surviving well enough.

Anyway, back to composing a piece of journalistic writing about one of my best friends. Tee-hee. It's cheating, but dammit, I need seven more stories in three weeks or I am a bad, bad journalism student. I have four stories I intend to get at least knee-deep into this week. I might make it if I keep pushing.

No comments: